ANST - Gulf Wars Cabins

Dwayne Sisk dukegareth at home.com
Tue Feb 2 21:12:10 PST 1999

If you are reading this post because of the subject line then I can
assume you have some interest in the topic.  I have remained silent on
this issue until now.  I am Gareth, King of Meridies.  Hear my words.

I just finished a conversation with Our Kingdom Seneschal.  He informed
me that Sir John (autocrat of Gulf Wars 7&8) has received some
twenty-seven letters regarding the cabin situation at Gulf Wars. The
content of these letters is so inflammatory as to cause him to consider
leaving the Society.  I know that if he were in a better frame of mind
he would never consider giving up this organization however, I can
understand how this would be especially disheartening considering he
lost his wife to cancer just last month.

The wording on the response cards is incorrect.  I can not say why
someone decided to explain the lack of bed space by implying that all
the cabins were given to Royalty.  They were not.  As has been explained
to anyone with the courtesy to listen, there were 120 beds open of which
108 went to non royalty.  We received 256 requests for beds on the first
day.  As for accusations of fraud and theft, everyone has been told they
will receive whatever refund they wish.  The money is NOT in an interest
bearing account.  I seem to be hearing that those who did not receive
cabin space would rather have had their original checks sent back to
them and let them deal with paying a higher camping fee for reserving at
a later time.  Perhaps that would have been better.  I can only say that
I believe Sir John has done and will continue to do his best to see that
each of Our guests at Gulf Wars will be treated fairly.  Remember, he is
only one of many people who are responsible for Gulf Wars, good and bad.

I appreciate TRM's Ansteorra letter and plea for courtesy.  I would take
this opportunity to say that anyone who thinks there is anything
malicious in the way this situation has been handled is welcome to show
their displeasure by NOT coming to Gulf Wars.  If the populace is so
dissatisfied with the way Meridies runs the war, perhaps Ansteorra and
Trimaris should look for sites within their own Kingdom at which to hold
the war next year.

Gareth, Rex Meridies