ANST - The Bard's Road

Scott Fridenberg scottf at okom.net
Tue Feb 9 21:12:32 PST 1999

Spatsman at aol.com wrote:

> Unto the good Gentles of Ansteorra,
> An interesting subject came up recently which has given my forehead a
> concerned furrow.

*** SNIP ***

> I simply wish to suggest that competitions are not the only bardic activity.
> If the time has come to choose your newest Titled bard, so be it. If, however,
> no title is in question, why not devise some other gathering, of a less
> competitive nature.
> Please understand, when you don armor, you prepare to face an opponent, but
> when a bard breathes in his/her first words, they prepare to face down reality
> itself.
> We strive to create those magic moments, and it's hard,...very hard.
> If a winner is not required, why not have themed performances?
> A request night?
> Random adlib, suggestions from the audience?
> Or, encourage firewalking in your area? This particular tradition is not being
> followed as it once was in Ansteorra.

*** SNIP ***

> ~HL Fionnagan

I remember very fondly the Interkingdom Bardic Projects held during the
Ansteorran - Calontier Interkingdom Peace.  A theme would be chosen and bards
from both kingdoms would compose new pieces based on the theme and perform
them at the event.  Some of the finest performances I've heard in the SCA were
at these events.  The nice thing about using themes was that it challenged
bards to write pieces that would probably have never been written otherwise.
	I would certainly be interested in taking part in any sort of bardic activity.

Robert Fitzmorgan
Barony of Northkeep
Bard of Elfsea
Minstral of Mooneschadowe