ANST - The Bard's Road

Nathan W. Jones njones at ix.netcom.com
Tue Feb 9 23:29:33 PST 1999

Greetings Friends!

HL Fionnagan made an interesting comment:
>If a winner is not required, why not have themed performances?
>A request night?  Random adlib, suggestions from the audience?
>Or, encourage firewalking in your area? This particular tradition
>is not being followed as it once was in Ansteorra.

I agree.  To me, ompetitions are not as enjoyable as sitting around
a fire with fine companions, a refreshing beverage of choice,
and a good performance.

I have entered competitions before, and undoubtedly will do
so again in the future, and have enjoyed them.  But the reward
I get from a good performance isn't prizes or titles, it's that
moment of silence when I am though. Sometimes there is applause,
sometimes not.  But, for that moment I know that I had them with
my song, that they would caught up in the spell of voice and music
and lyric.  When that happens, I rejoice, for I have done my job
well.  (either that, or I've stunned them into a stupor.)

I think one of the reasons that folks in this kingdom have
gotten wary of fireside entertainment and firewalkers, is
that they have been burned by attack bards in the past.
But, the best defence against an attack bard is to have active
participation at the campfire.  If everyone is taking a turn,
then that gives an attack bard less opportunity to sing yet
another song that no one wants to hear.

Also, don't be shy about taking control of your own campfire.
There is no reason to have to abandon your own camp when it
is overrun by attack bards.  Set a limit on the number of
pieces performed by one person.  Set a rule that everyone
must take a turn before someone can sing another piece.
And, if that fails, bribing an attack bard and suggesting
that they check out the Crown's encampment works.  *evil
grin*

I have a self imposed rule that I only perform twice at
a camp before setting off for another, unless specifically
asked to perform more.  This has two functions, it keeps
me from hogging the spotlight (and trust me, if you let me
sing all night, I would).  But, it also allows others a
chance to shine.

I've also noticed that there is also a trend to more solo
performance rather than group singing.  Maybe this is
because of the shift away from a campfire focused venue
to a competition based one.  I've met plenty of people
who say, "Oh, I couldn't get up and sing in front of
people!" But who are more than willing, and enjoy singing
as part of a group.  Maybe it's time to relearn and teach
the old songs, and get group singing started again.  If
anyone is wanting to learn, I can teach what is in my
repetior.

Just a couple of thoughts.

Gio,
Northkeep,
Ansteorra.

p.s.  I will be hosting a salon/teahouse at Castellan this
year, everyone is welcome to some and sit in the shade,
chat, and entertain each other.  My only request is that it
is BYOP (Bring Your Own Personna).  No computer talk allowed.
Gio
Northkeep
Ansteorra