ANST - The Bard's Road

Lady Simone margiejr at sprintmail.com
Wed Feb 10 00:39:57 PST 1999

HL Fionnagan Gracefully Said:
<snip >

It seems that most every event has a
>bardic competition, and not just for the earning of a representitive title.
>These seem to spring from honest, good intentions, ie; " Well, we need to
give
>the bards something to do".
>That's a generous attitude, and for it I am grateful.
>I simply wish to suggest that competitions are not the only bardic
activity.

That would be a wonderful Breath of freash air, because unless you are an
outgoing person the most anyone sees of our craft is what we do at the
competions.  Which only paints a small picture of the talent and flexability
of many of th bards in our dear Kingdom.

>If the time has come to choose your newest Titled bard, so be it. If,
however,
>no title is in question, why not devise some other gathering, of a less
>competitive nature.
>Please understand, when you don armor, you prepare to face an opponent, but
>when a bard breathes in his/her first words, they prepare to face down
reality
>itself.
>We strive to create those magic moments, and it's hard,...very hard.

I agree.  I myself find it much easier to attempt to create them in a
non-compettive venue. Competions show a bit of our talents and alow us to
see how we compare with other bards. Yet at least for This bard, it is not
the reason for me being a bard.

For me it is to bring Joy to those I perform for. Show deads of honor,valor
and chivialry in the songs story nd poems told. or relay teachings.  Along
with the joy that comes from seeing ones eyes light up when you have created
for them one of those magical moments were just for a time our Dream seams
to take the shape of reality.
<SNIP>
>Or, encourage firewalking in your area? This particular tradition is not
being
>followed as it once was in Ansteorra. Some still welcome bards, young and
old,
>with welcome arms, but some make bards to feel most unwelcome, and this is
>particularly hard on the new performer, whose confidence is shaky to begin
>with.

I started my road in the bardic arts walking the Fires, It was and is a
wonderful thing for  me. six years ago folks were happy when Bard came sang
for them at thier fires, Today it seems that many would just rather we
didn't, this sadens my heart.  For I can remeber when bards were welcomed at
campsites and offered hospitality by  the populace of this kingdom. Yet I
see it seldomly today. I still walk the fires and intend to continue untill
I am no longer physicaly able.

>You could welcome bards to perform when drummers and
>dancers need refreshment.

This could also help to relive some tenison that  seems to every once and a
while comes between Bards and drummers.

>Landed nobility could call visiting bards to their tables.
>Warriors could make a pre-battle boast worthwhile to the local bard.

<snip>

I would like to add. That allowing Bards to practice their art outside of
Competition gives the new bard an avenue were they can practice and improve
their craft.  Most Bards are not out performing for their own fame, but to
bring fame to others.
To bring entertainment and instruction  through their art. and also to earn
their bread.  The bard entertains Noble and Gentry a like Many of us for the
love of our craft, and the joy of the populace

Lady Simone