ANST - The Bard's Road

Lady Simone margiejr at sprintmail.com
Wed Feb 10 00:56:47 PST 1999

>Greetings Friends!
<snip Lots of Good stuff>

>I have entered competitions before, and undoubtedly will do
>so again in the future, and have enjoyed them.  But the reward
>I get from a good performance isn't prizes or titles, it's that
>moment of silence when I am though. Sometimes there is applause,
>sometimes not.  But, for that moment I know that I had them with
>my song, that they would caught up in the spell of voice and music
>and lyric.  When that happens, I rejoice, for I have done my job
>well.  (either that, or I've stunned them into a stupor.)

I agree that is better than any prize for me.

>I think one of the reasons that folks in this kingdom have
>gotten wary of fireside entertainment and firewalkers, is
>that they have been burned by attack bards in the past.
>But, the best defence against an attack bard is to have active
>participation at the campfire.  If everyone is taking a turn,
>then that gives an attack bard less opportunity to sing yet
>another song that no one wants to hear.

I think many attack bards are newcomers ho haven't yet been told by some of
us older and wiser bards about courtesy while performing at camp fires.

>Also, don't be shy about taking control of your own campfire.
>There is no reason to have to abandon your own camp when it
>is overrun by attack bards.  Set a limit on the number of
>pieces performed by one person.  Set a rule that everyone
>must take a turn before someone can sing another piece.
>And, if that fails, bribing an attack bard and suggesting
>that they check out the Crown's encampment works.  *evil
>grin*

Yes it is ***Grin***

>I have a self imposed rule that I only perform twice at
>a camp before setting off for another, unless specifically
>asked to perform more.  This has two functions, it keeps
>me from hogging the spotlight (and trust me, if you let me
>sing all night, I would).  But, it also allows others a
>chance to shine.

I've found it to be a good rule. I have the same reasoning for that. and
also if a camp is downright rude about not having bards perform, be sure I
remeber it and share it with other bards. I don't think being rude to bards
is the answer either.  I saw a new bard devistated at Stepps when he dicided
to attempt to perform at campsite. he walked into the camp respectful waited
on the outskirts of the camp for a lull in the conversation. asked if he
could enter thier camp. which was granted. He then asked if he could perform
for them. and was told "NO If I wanted to Here a Bard I would go to the
Competion" Then asked him to leave.
the Young man left as quietly as he came in.

I saw this as i was going to the ssme camp for the same reason. Insted of
entering thier campsite I cought up with the young man. and talked to him
about the situation. this saddened and angered me. After we talked he went
with me to a few fires I knew were Bard freindly and he still performs
today.

This had a happy ending, but how many new bards have dicided not to take up
our craft because of folks being intolernt or rude.

Lady Simone