ANST - The Bard's Road

Karen Cutter lycatrina at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 10 16:22:45 PST 1999

Greetings,
I find myself agreeing with the good gentle who originated this topic
of debate. I seem to recall that my most memorable and enjoyable
moments listening to bardic offerings has been when I was sitting in
the camp of friends and a bard has spontaneously begun to sing, play,
or spin a tale.  The atmosphere can seem artificial at bardic
competitions, not that I don't enjoy them, I simply prefer a warm fire
at my feet, a good drink in my hand, and the wondrous sound of the
bard in my ears on a starry night.  It takes me so far away from
Mundania that I scarcely recall that I "play" at being Ly. Catrina.
                 In appreciation of bards,
                 Catrina

---Lady Simone <margiejr at sprintmail.com> wrote:

> For Myself I enjoy roving Bardic Competions, were the judges are
anonymus
> people around diffrent  campfires. It takes away from some of the
stress of
> competion while allowing the bards to entertain the populace at the
same
> time.
>
> when I first entered this kingdom thier were a few of such
competions wich
> ended at a main bardic fire.  my personal oppinion is that you get
to see
> the versitility of a bard when they have to perform for many people
instad
> of against other bards.
>
> Lady Simone
>

> >I am autocrating an event in May in Loch Soilleir and since it is
> >our Baronial Championship where we pick our Bard and Artisan I have
no
> >choice but to make it a competition. What I would like is some input
> >from bards that are currently competing on how we could improve upon
> >the standard competition.
> >Since this event will be special because we will be welcoming a new
> >Baron and Baroness I wish to have lots of entertainment.
> >I myself prefer wandering bards. There is nothing like having a bard
> >wander in to your pavillion and entertain you with story and song to
> >make you feel special.
> >Basically what can I do to accomadate you the bards?
> >E-mail me privately if you wish.
> >Tegan Rhos
> >
> >Spatsman at aol.com wrote:
> >>
> >> Unto the good Gentles of Ansteorra,
> >> An interesting subject came up recently which has given my
forehead a
> >> concerned furrow.
> >> While attending a northern event, a few local bards, myself
included,
> found
> >> ourselves in a conversation concerning bardic competitions. Now,
I'm not
> going
> >> to waste your time talking shop, but the jist of this discussion
was the
> >> amount of competition in this Kingdom. It seems that most every
event has
> >> bardic competition, and not just for the earning of a
representitive
> title.
> >> These seem to spring from honest, good intentions, ie; " Well, we
need to
> give
> >> the bards something to do".
> >> That's a generous attitude, and for it I am grateful.
> >> I simply wish to suggest that competitions are not the only bardic
> activity.
> >> If the time has come to choose your newest Titled bard, so be it.
If,