ANST - The Bard's Road

Spatsman at aol.com Spatsman at aol.com
Wed Feb 10 16:26:00 PST 1999

In a message dated 2/10/99 12:20:35 PM Central Standard Time,
jyeates at realtime.net writes:

<< OK, while i honor bards and appreciate them, but why is there a attitude
that
 they are automatically welcome at all fires at all times and that the
 activities at those fires should be modified for them in all cases ???

The first thought that sprung to mind reading this came to me with a silly
grin...
"Because, We'll tell stories of much amusement about you to other camps if you
don't welcome us!"
LOL!
Actually, you make a good point. Sometimes, campers are in desire of privacy,
and I think most bards respect and appreciate that. It's the camps where
polite refusal is exchanged for sarcasm and hostility that bring pain and
suffering to performers. That's the issue here, I think.
Also, some take that old Celtic and Arab hospitality more seriously then
others.
Hopefully, most of us will have the wisdom to determine when an audience is
potentially receptive.
~HL Fionnagan