ANST - Re: Documentation

Gunnora Hallakarva gunnora at bga.com
Mon Feb 15 14:06:59 PST 1999

Lady Simone said:
> Example say that a lady from one barony has done an
> exceptional Job on an Elizabethan Gown, spent the
> time to makes sure it fit well and was done as true
> as possible to replicate the gown. She had not the
> time because of her mundane life or time ran out to
> Write the research paper, or did not know how to
> write the research paper needed for documentation.
> Takes the Piece to A&S and is automatically docked
> 10 points for no documentation. she receives 36
> points for the work, which is only 4 points of off
> the max she can get without documentation.

> Then a woman from another barony spends most of her
> time doing the research paper for an Elizabethan
> gown,  The gown is poorly sewn, the gown defiantly
> inferior to the first,  before the documentation
> she scores a 29 out of 40 but then receives 8
> points for her documentation is added in she
> scores a 37. This woman wins.

I don't want Lady Simone thinking I'm picking on her for addressing this same basic information twice, but I think it's important that I do address this point a little more clearly.

I my last post, I explained that you DO NOT have to have a research paper to have adequate documentation.  If the gown is as perfectly period as we're told in the example above, then
the artist certainly ALREADY did the research, and has consulted Janet Arnold or some other reputable source, and thus the research is there already -- what is lacking is the write-up.

Lady Simone is also mistaken in the assumption that her second example would win on points ONLY because of the documentation -- it won't.  You should notice on EVERY one of the new
judging forms that there is an area for "Overall Impression" .  The Laurel recognize crap when we see it -- and if we have an exquisite item next to a terrible item of the same sort,
don't think that the Overall Impression score will not help make up the difference.

I'll say it again -- if you are vehemently anti-competition, or anti-documentation, no one is twisting your arm to make you enter a competition.  This is exactly why we have
non-competitive A&S venues such as LPT, which is THE most prestigious arts event in our kingdom anyway!

Let me be completely frank here -- if you know before you enter an event that documentation is required, and you decide not to do documentation, then why would you expect to win?  What
do you think will happen if you come to Crown Tourney, and say, I want to win Crown Tourney, but I think it's unfair that I should have to fight to get it?  I can hear the List Mistress
guffawing now.

If winning is actually important to a contestant, then they will find or make the time to do the very simple, short documentation that is actually required.  If they can't do the
documentation, then it is the artisan's responsibility to ask for help -- any of the Laurels would be glad to assist, it's a part of our job.  But always remember that the artisan MADE
THOSE CHOICES THEMSELF!

And if you don't want to do the minimum required for a given competition, then don't enter it -- wait until an A&S venue comes around that has rules more to your liking.  We have any
number of local and regional and even kingdom A&S venues in which documentation is optional -- stick to those.

::GUNNORA::