ANST - Re: Documentation

Gunnora Hallakarva gunnora at bga.com
Tue Feb 16 11:31:37 PST 1999

Mahee ("Russell Husted" <husted at hotmail.com>) said:

> <snip> I am new to card weaving. My wife took a class
> on it. I got a five minute explanation from her on how
> it was done, And now I am weaving my head off. I am
> trying all sorts of things and having fun!

I'm always pleased to see people discover that the arts and sciences are fun.

> I, until Mistress Gunnora posted it even after
> talking to several other people in the field, did not
> know what the best books to look in were. Which ones
> were acceptable and gave period information.

Any of the Laurels will guide you if you have questions about sources.  admittedly, if
you come to me and ask me about 15th century costume, I'm not going to have a clue --
but I do know the rest of the Laurels fairly well, and I would either direct you to a
Laurel specializing in the field, or else I would find out from them and relay the
information back to you.

A big part of the reason that we're Laurels (if not the single most important) is that
most of us LOVE to teach.  We kind of shoot ourselves in the foot by agreeing to take
the Laurel, because then we end up mostly judging, not teaching or doing our own
artwork -- unlike the other Peerages, which go on doing the fun things that they were
doing before their elevation to the peerage. (Not that Laurels don't have some
compensations).

And, despite rumors to the contrary, none of us bite, usually.  We're always glad to
talk to an artisan who is excited about the arts.

> I do not have these book, and you can bet, I will do
> my best to get my hands on them now. But
> prier to that, unless I dropped everything I was
> doing, that informantion was not in my hands.

This is why it's a great idea to talk to others (Laurels or not) who are practicing an
art that you practice, or which you wish to learn.  You shouldn't have to rediscover
the wheel every time you want to go somewhere with your art.  Chances are quite good
that others have done the research, and know EXACTLY where to look.

Also, most artists, Laurels included, are more than happy to share copies of their
documentation with others who are interested.  I usually make extra copies of my
documentation when I display so that others can pick up a copy and have it to learn
from.

Don't overlook the possibilities of Interlibrary Loan, either.  Your local library may
not have the book you need, but chances are very good that they have an ILL department
and can borrow the book for you from a library which does have the book.

> There is no forum for the newby, or dabbler.
> I would like to see two competitions sit side
> by side, not as equals, but side by side. One
> which requires everything, and the other which
> is just "Overall Impression" Let the newbies
> play as well without the "threat" of documentation
> hanging over their heads.

We have this type of competition -- all the A&S competitions that are judged by
populace vote go on pure "Overall Impression".

There are other ways to have arts events for newcomers.  Mistress Clare hosted a
special Arts Pentathalon at a Bryn Gwlad event a couple of years ago:  during the day,
entrants took beginning classes in five artforms, then created a work in all five to
enter in the competition.  The new artisans (and those new to the arts) learned
something, and got to try a new craft, and be recognized for it.

If you want tos ee more of these, consider autocratting or organizing one yourself!

> I feel that "threat" so I know what I am saying. When
> I design a scroll, I can prove beyond a shadow of
> a doubt, that it is period, SEE look-here is one just like it.
> We newbies do not always understand.

As has already been eloquently pointed out, you can also use your documentation to
make a case for something that you do not replicate exactly -- by documenting the
parts that are period, and explaining why you thought that they'd be used this way in
period.

For example, we cannot document Viking Age recipes.  There are no written recipes for
Scandinavia until after the Viking Age.  The sagas offer minimal help, and
archaeological remains show only what plants and animals were used, but rarely how
they were prepared.  However, if I can document the foods as being accurate to the
period, and I can show that similar cultures used a recipe or cooking techniques like
mine, then I've made a good case for showing a "Viking Meal" as an arts entry.

> What I called "periodish," Mistress Gunnora
> called "period." I didn't know better.
> ps-thankyou for clarifying that for me and
> the extra info you gave.

That's what we're here for!  What *I* think is so cool about documentation and
research is that you *will* turn up the most interesting things you would never have
dreamed were period.  Did you know that the Vikings used fake fur?  They did! (not
*quite* like our modern examples) -- but you can tablet-weave fake fur trim by tufting
combed wool into the warp, or into the edges of the weft, and you can create fake fur
on a full sized loom as well.

And interestingly enough, it can be very easy sometimes to document an idea that
you've had percolating in your head.  It's a good idea to look for the documentation
before youstart the artwork, because you may decide that you like the period example
better.

> I would like to see an "Artisans" Competition
> at the same time as the regular A$S, not once
> every now and then at the few events that do
> "display".

I suspect that people do the same old arts competition each time because they haven't
been told that thare *are* any alternatives.  We've had hiring fairs, for instance,
that were loads of fun -- you displayed your arts in hopes of beinmg "hired".

If you have a neat idea, run with it!  Show others how much fun that a new kind of
event can be. If you're not comfortable autocratting, team up with an experienced
autocrat who can help show you the ropes.

> Competition is for fun, display is not a fun word,
> and we newbies do not understand it.

I'm not sure I understand your point here.

> The artisans competition should be in well
> estabished crafts, things there is no question
> about period or not,

If we did that, would anybody *ever* try a new artform outside of the rules?  Not very
often is the answer. As it is now, I'm never sure what new thing I'm going to see at a
Kingdom A&S or LPT -- the range is completely open, and you can see almost any art or
craft.

> Card weaving being a simple example. Let the Laurels
> who judge these excite the participants. "Excellent
> job, did you know about this book...."

We're trying -- and if we don't succeed, TELL us!

> The Laurel who judged my last A$S said quite wisely,
> "Think Advertisement" I ask you, the Laurels, to do
> the same, Give a middle ground competition,
> and Artisans competition, as Advertisement to
> becomeing well versed in an art, Give the newbies
> someplace to play other than just on the combat
> field.

The Laurels are rarely asked in advance about a competition, and then only because
we're being asked to come and judge, since the group has usually planned the event
without Laurel input.  We are not in the decision making loop entirely, though we do
influence decisions about the arts and sciences.

::GUNNORA::