ANST - Documentation - a Viewpoint from a Calontiri Laurel

Gunnora Hallakarva gunnora at bga.com
Tue Feb 16 10:50:51 PST 1999

This is another comparative view of documentation across the known world.  This email post was originally to the SCA Arts list, and is authored by Lady Agnes deLanvallei, OL of Calontir.

Subject: Re: Documentation difficulties
Mon, 30 Nov 1998 08:29:14 -0600
From: khkeeler <kkeeler at unlinfo.unl.edu>

I'll add a couple of difficulties

Documentation difficulties as an entrant:  remembering to explain all the really obvious steps like: cooked it on an electric stove.  Not at all period, but the only way I cook things, so I overlooked it while carefully documenting all the other steps and ingredients.

Documentation difficulties as a judge:  the web.  My Kingdom doesn't have a policy yet.  I think the web is not documentation unless the item is published on paper somewhere. It a godsend for people in small towns.  At the same time, we risk very
bad scholarship if you can cite a personal web page (of "clothes I made") equal to the archaeological publications of the Museum of London.

Documentation difficulties as a judge: judging good references from lousy ones.  In my specialties, sure.  When judging  something else--much harder.  Quality of references is not very important for picking a winner, it is important for the
underlying educational goal:  helping people learn about the Middle Ages.  Some sources are the best available information, some are full of undocumentable statements. Entrants should get praise for using The Best, help/suggestions if they found only fourth hand sources.

Lady Agnes deLanvallei, OL
Mag Mor, Calontir
kkeeler1 at unl.edu