ANST - Documentation from a Calontiri Artist's Perspective

Gunnora Hallakarva gunnora at bga.com
Tue Feb 16 10:53:53 PST 1999

This is another post from the SCA Arts list, this time from a non-Laurel Calontiri
artist, Lady Fiondel Songspinner

Subject: Re: Documentation difficulties
Mon, 30 Nov 1998 07:44:30 -0600
<fiondel at fastrans.net>

Not a difficulty, but a suggestion.

In the last couple of years, I have discovered a key to making
both the making of a project *and* the documentation a bit easier.

It's called, "Explain Deviation."  :)

Unless you're entering a "Period from the ground up" kind of competition,
MOST of us are going to use non-period materials and techniques in
our work.  The trick is to explain *why* you deviated from "period."

I've made a type of tunic, which all my documentation said would
probably have been dyed dark blue in period, but what I *had* was
a black wool.  So, I explained that the fabric store had a sale,
and the black was $4/yard, while the blue was $14/yard, "So, in
the interest of economy........"  (Got "brownie points" on being
honest, having done my homework, and making a practical decision.)

Likewise for using DMC gold for embroidery.  Simply explain that
the "real gold" is too expensive.

As long as you KNOW what would have been used, have a reasonable
substitute, and explain both, you'll be fine.

Good luck with your class.

Fiondel Songspinner
A & S Champion
Barony of Three Rivers, Calontir