ANST - Re: Learning Other's Arts

Gunnora Hallakarva gunnora at bga.com
Tue Feb 16 11:55:41 PST 1999

Ronnie Said:
> I'm hearing, "I want to touch it.  I want to play."
> Is there any way some of us who work in these arts
> or sciences can set up or set aside a project or
> piece of a project, that *anyone* can just play
> with for 5 or 10 minutes? At Gulf A&S, I saw some
> *wonderful* stained glass.  The weaving against the
> wall fascinated me -- mostly because the artisan
> was working the piece as I watched.  And I learned,
> both from the watching, and from the explanations.
> I'd have loved to do some hands-on on some of the
> things I saw (not the entry pieces, but maybe with
> scrap or leftover materials).  Not in a collegium
> context, but to observe the works, learn something
> of how it feels, what it takes and how it's done,
> while it's happening, and then try a little ourselves.

In Bjornsborg in the Ancienne Dayes, our Baroness, Alexandra Tatiana Feodnorovna of Novgorod (ye gods, what a mouthful!) used to encourage *everyone* to fetch their A&S projects out to fighter practice.  In the fog of my memory, I recall every fighter practice as having
perfect weather, fun fighting, and A&S things to work on or learn from when I was too tired to fight another round.

Also, recall that (like any other artist) most Laurels have a big wide streak of vanity.  You want to learn an art?  Find a Laurel who's doing that art, and ask them to teach it.  That tells the Laurel that you admire their work enough that you want to learn from it, which
is always flattering.  I don't take apprentices on a whim, but I will generally teach anyone that I do not have a total antipathy for.

For that matter, you can ask *anyone* who practices an art to help you learn it.  Most people are more than willing to share their enthusiasm with you.

The key here is that you *have* to want it badly enough to *ask*.

::GUNNORA::