ANST - more art, less judgement ... was: documentation

Gail P. Taylor gtaylor at lonestar.jpl.utsa.edu
Tue Feb 16 12:19:02 PST 1999

> second the suggestion .. have a artisans competition and let the populace
> decide what they like.  art and craft is for appreciation, not judgement.

> 'wolf

I've been in these before.  In them, the artist who produces the most attractive
material usually wins.  Yes...this person might be the best artist...but the piece
that they produce may not be, and often isn't at all, period.  A post-period
pot-holder with lots of beads on it will beat a less ornate period
potholder...because it's prettier!  But...aren't we a historical recreationist
society?

Overall...I know that if I want to enter a popular choice contest, I need to enter
something period that is also highly attractive to modern tastes.  Or, I can choose
not to enter, if I don't like having to compete in such a situation.  Just like
those who don't enjoy documenting their work don't have to enter a competition that
requires documentation....

Isobel