ANST - What ever happened to.....

Amy Forsyth aforsyth at UH.EDU
Tue Feb 16 12:54:15 PST 1999

On the subject of art, judging, and documentation.....

What ever happened to that class of art where people would make things to
hide the mundane at events?  (I think it was called 'modern mundanities'.)

Things like ice chest covers and chair covers embellished with devices.
Devious ways of hiding trash bags, cigarette paks, and notebooks.
Embellished armor bags, etc.

I know there have been a lot of great ideas used in the past..... but many
have gone to the wayside in pursuit of the 'authentic'.  I understand that
there used to be many items made that weren't necessarily period, but did
much to contribute to the period feel of events.  Maybe it's time to
revisit some of these ideas (but only the best ones, of course).

What other things do people remember in this artistic area?

These items are not necessarily things documentable from period, but they
can be ingeneous, creative, and use period techniques for sections --- or
have nothing period in them at all!  Still, they do add something to our game.
How would/should something like this be judged against those things
emulating period arts?

Adela