ANST - Grants and "qualities"...

Pug Bainter pug at pug.net
Thu Feb 18 16:32:32 PST 1999

Good Morning,

  I have been mulling something over for quite some time and I thought I
  would bring it up here for discussion.

  What I am trying to figure out is if a GoA level award should require
  any "qualities" of the individual for recognition. Right now I don't
  know what a better term for these intangables would be. These are
  qualities like politeness, humility, chivalry, etc.

  When I first looked at this issue, I said no since I was thinking of
  the Star of Merit and the Iris of Merit which are not supposed to be
  stepping stones to Peerage. They are just for long term/high quality
  Service or Arts/Science.

  Then when I thought further upon it I realized that the other GoA level
  awards (Centurion, White Scarf and Court Noble) did require qualities
  from the individual, I got uncertain that my answer was correct.

  Admittedly the Centurion is not a stepping stone to Peerage, but it
  and the White Scarves are a polling order and set their own criteria
  for membership. As I understand it, some of this are considered
  personal qualities of the individual in question.

  Court Nobles are picked at the descression of the Crown, but the many
  purpose of this order is to recognize those that are noble which would
  be a personal quality of the individual.

  Basically it comes down to should all GoA level awards treated equally
  regarding the intangible qualifications or not.

Ciao,