ANST - Grants and "qualities"...

Tim Lozos timden at lcc.net
Thu Feb 18 20:12:24 PST 1999

Greetings

Pug stated.....

> I was thinking of
>  the Star of Merit and the Iris of Merit which are not supposed to be
>  stepping stones to Peerage. They are just for long term/high quality
>  Service or Arts/Science.

I dont agree with that. In general, I would say that a person recieving
either of these awards (especially if it's their first GoA) would be on
sombodies "watch list".  It's not a lock, but a good step in the right
direction. Simple test: Name the last Laurel elevated who did not have an
Iris. Ditto for Pelican/Star.

>  Admittedly the Centurion is not a stepping stone to Peerage, but it
>  and the White Scarves are a polling order and set their own criteria
>  for membership. As I understand it, some of this are considered
>  personal qualities of the individual in question.

Huh? Did you mix that up? Admittedly, the White Scarf is the "peerage" for
the rapier community. I.E.: there is no higher rapier fighting award for
them to get. But if you think the Centurion is not a stepping stone, then
ask the following Gentles....

Master Daniel, Sir Maxilmillian, Dame Alisha, Sir Dietrich, Sir Alrek, Sir
Badon, Sir Wilhelm

As with an irs or Star, it's definatly not a lock, but a step in the right
direction.

Timo