ANST - Grants and "qualities"...

James Crouchet jtc at io.com
Thu Feb 18 22:02:09 PST 1999

On 18 Feb 99,, Tim Lozos wrote:

> >  Admittedly the Centurion is not a stepping stone to Peerage, but it
> >  and the White Scarves are a polling order and set their own criteria
> >  for membership. As I understand it, some of this are considered
> >  personal qualities of the individual in question.
>
> Huh? Did you mix that up? Admittedly, the White Scarf is the
> "peerage" for the rapier community. I.E.: there is no higher rapier
> fighting award for them to get.

I know this has nothing to do with the point you were making but I
would like to add one tiny clarification.

Any similarity of the WS to a peerage does not come from the lack
of a higher level award. Witness those kingdoms that have nothing
higher than an AoA level fencing award, and that not resembling a
peerage at all. Rather, it comes from the fact we are charged with
being the guiding body for our particular activity and are
answerable to the crown.

Don Christian Doré