ANST - Grants and "qualities"...

Pug Bainter pug at pug.net
Fri Feb 19 07:17:13 PST 1999

Tim Lozos (timden at lcc.net) said something that sounded like:
> > I was thinking of
> >  the Star of Merit and the Iris of Merit which are not supposed to be
> >  stepping stones to Peerage. They are just for long term/high quality
> >  Service or Arts/Science.
> I dont agree with that.

First of all, not that I said "are not supposed to be stepping stones".
The last time I looked, you were not *required* to have a Grant level
Service/Art award to get a peerage.

Maybe there is something missing here. A stepping stone means you have
to step there before going on.

If people falsely view these awards as being on the Peer track, that is
another matter entirely. If someone gets passed over because they don't
have the GoA level award, that is a bad Circle/Crown in my opinion.

> In general, I would say that a person recieving
> either of these awards (especially if it's their first GoA) would be on
> sombodies "watch list".

Just because you are on the "watch list" doesn't mean you are on your
way to a peerage. And if you aren't on the "watch list", getting a GoA
shouldn't put you on it necessarily either.

> Simple test: Name the last Laurel elevated who did not have an Iris.

Hell. I can't name the last Laurel that wasn't an Apprentice, but that's
another issue entirely.

> >  Admittedly the Centurion is not a stepping stone to Peerage, but it
> >  and the White Scarves are a polling order and set their own criteria
> >  for membership. As I understand it, some of this are considered
> >  personal qualities of the individual in question.
> Huh? Did you mix that up?

Not in the least.

Polling orders help set their own criteria for membership. Some of this
criteria may be useful in the progress to a Peerage, but that doesn't
mean anything.

Non-polling orders are more at the whim of the Crown and the people who
make the recommendations.

> But if you think the Centurion is not a stepping stone, then
> ask the following Gentles....

So one is required to have a Centurion to get a Knighthood?

Ciao,