ANST - Audience Disdain?

Spatsman at aol.com Spatsman at aol.com
Fri Feb 19 14:47:49 PST 1999

In a message dated 2/19/99 11:22:08 AM Central Standard Time, gunnora at bga.com
writes:

<< A GOOD performance will captivate the audience.  You could have heard a pin
drop when Thomas of Tenby staged his dramatic presentation
 of "Maldon" a while back.  If a performer isn't good enough to capture the
audience's attention and keep it, then that audience
 reaction is a clear message, too.

You share too many bardic secrets, Mistress!
However, since the druidic days of secrecy have gone the way of the Fir Bolg,
I would suggest that setting is a serious consideration as well.
Feast halls are babtisms by fire! Even if you have an audience eager to hear a
performance, the gentle tinkling of knife and spoon multiplied a hundred-fold
makes for a cacophany of distraction. To perform in such a setting would be
discourteous to the audience, in my opinion.
Tourney fields are just as difficult, there's too much going on. What with
armor being adjusted and heralds calling opponents, capturing attention is
simply too great a task. Besides, who would wish to lose themselves in a
temporary mood when they are in the middle of a far more palpable one?
Short of a scheduled performance, I feel that the evening revelry is the best
time for the performer, or perhaps the midday meal.
You echo many of my earlier thoughts on this subject.
I am honored to recieve validation from one such as you.
Thank you for furthering the performing arts of Ansteorra.
~Fionnagan