ANST - Audience Disdain?

Fri Feb 19 16:04:56 PST 1999

> I would suggest that setting is a serious consideration as well.
> Feast halls are babtisms by fire! Even if you have an audience eager to
> hear a
> performance, the gentle tinkling of knife and spoon multiplied a
> hundred-fold
> makes for a cacophany of distraction. To perform in such a setting would
> be
> discourteous to the audience, in my opinion.
> ~Fionnagan

Feast halls can be very a good venue.  A number of years ago a series of
performers presented most of the poems in Kipling's "The River's Tale"
during one of my feasts.  By controlling the time between courses and by
having the feasters all within hearing and sight of the orators, the venture
was brought off successfully.

The key is controlling the situation.  The entertainment was planned in
conjunction with the feast.  The table layout was done with service and
entertainment in mind.  The feasters were primed for entertainment with
their food.  The entire feast was something of a theatrical production and
to the outside viewer, it appeared to come off without a hitch.

Had it been done extemporaneously, without the proper staging and timing,
I'm certain the entertainment would have failed miserably.

Bear