ANST - Quilting in Period (WAS: Documnetation)

Mon Feb 22 08:23:15 PST 1999

> Piecework appears to be later.  Quilting in period was wholecloth or
> whitework; the examples I have seen used panels to tell a story, such as
> from the Bible or a legend.  The figured might be additionally padded for
> better relief.  I think the extant examples (the ones I remember anyway,
> and I think I have photos somewhere) are in Italy.
>

>                                         ---= Morgan

Here's a little tidbit to fan the flames:

History Tidbits from the Net

From: Katherine
Subject: Patchwork history discovery

The following article was in the Louisville, Ky "Courier-Journal" Sunday,
June 19, 1994:
PATCHWORK DISCOVRY
A missing piece in the puzzle of quilt history has been found, according to
a report in the Louisville-based biannual "Quilt Journal". American scholar
Janine Janniere, who teaches English at the National Institute if Applied
Sciences in Toulouse, France, recently discovered a reference to an early
16th century patchwork banner. It was composed of 8,000 pieces by Philippe
de Vigneulies, a draper and hosier in Metz. The discovery stands midway
between the first known reference to patchwork quilting in a 13th century
French poem and the next, which occurs in the early 18th century in
Gulliver's Travels."

It is from:

http://www.quilt.com/QuiltHistoryPage.html

Bon Chance