ANST - Banerets (was Looking for some info)

Michael Tucker michaelt at mechatronics.com
Mon Jan 25 08:10:09 PST 1999

Greetings, all, from Michael Silverhands, Baron of Stargate:

"Wohlers, Peter" wrote:

> >From what I have read a "baronet' was a title one could buy from the crown
> when the crown needed money.
>
> it would be like a court baron ( no land just title)

Yes, that's it exactly (per my understanding of these things). That's probably
the historical basis for baronies in fief (a.k.a. landed nobility) ranking in
precedence after the Crown, but before the Peers; while court baronies rank in
precedence *after* the Peers.

SCA precendence:
Crown -> Royalty -> Baronies in Fief -> Peers (Knights, Laurels, Pelicans) ->
Court Baronies -> Grants of Arms -> etc.

This differs slightly from the historical model. Baronies in fief were "Peers of
the Realm". Knights and master artisans were accorded status similar to what we
give an Officer of the Army or an Arthur Fiedler: highly respected, but still
commoners. Banerets ranked *before* knights in theory, but in practice they
actually had less status than members of the Order of the Garter (who were
presumed to have earned their spurs, so to speak, not bought them).

Historical precedence:
Crown -> Royalty -> Landed nobility (dukes, barons, etc.) -> Knights of the
Garter -> Banerets -> other knights, master artisans, etc. -> commoners

This is potentially a subject of much interesting discussion and debate. There
are many opinions as to "what" and "why"; this is just my own understanding of
the topic. I invite others to contribute!

Yours in service,
Michael