ANST - period playground equipment?

Karie Mitchell allessandre at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 1 13:25:08 PDT 1999

>Bonjour from Madelina de Lindesaye.
>
><snip about daughter>But what about something built on
>purpose, rope with a wooden seat, for example?
><more snippage>
>I think it would be really fun to be able to have some sort of
>period playground equipment at, say, Springfaire (along with maybe a
>Maypole).  But where do I even start looking?  Has anyone researched
>this?  Any ideas?
>
>I thank you in advance for any assistance.
>
>Amicalement,
>Madelina

Although I think it's a lovely idea, I doubt that "playground equipment" was
much in use.  Children were considered "adults" as soon as they could work
or begin training for a trade.
Play was something done only when the chores, lessons,
etc had been done.  Some of it was sports oriented.
Games with balls and bats were used in various ways.
Children also would have climbed trees and played hide-
and-seek in various places.  But I don't think they had
actual "play grounds".  Anyone else know if I'm right or
wrong?

But I do think it's a lovely idea to have a "play ground"
for kids.  I especially like the Maypole.  Perhaps just
letting kids have fun with balls and bats, like they used
to would be easy and fun now.  Oh, and there's also
something called "Graces" especially for girls.  Basically
it's a hoop decorated with ribbons, that is tossed (gently)
between a group of girls and boys with sticks, also decorated.
I don't know how amusing it would be, considering the action
our youth demonstrate today, but some might find it interesting
and fun to decorate the rings and sticks.

Just my $.02.

Allessandre Desiderio