ANST - Question and Comment on Ducal Privilege

Mark.S Harris rsve60 at email.sps.mot.com
Thu Jul 1 10:22:32 PDT 1999

Gunnora brings up the question:
> Here's my question.  Does ducal privilege extend to Consorts?  Can Duchess
> Alisha or Duchess Willow (just picking two of our duchesses that are also
> fighters) enter Crown Tourney and bow out under ducal privilege, should
> they wish to do so? If they cannot, why not?

Interesting. Another example is, I believe Duchess Rowan, since she is "only"
a Countess by her own hands.

Perhaps this goes back to why the title of Count, Countess, Duke and
Duchess are bestowed. Are these titles bestowed simply for winning
(or being the consort to one who wins) a tournament? Or are they bestowed
for having a successful reign and handling all the chores that come
with that office? If the latter, then I think Ducal Privilege if
it is kept, would definitely apply to these woman fighters. If the
title is only for winning a particular tournament, then I don't think
it should.

Lord Stefan li Rous
Barony of Bryn Gwlad
Ansteorra