ANST - Question and Comment on Ducal Privilege

Bowen wweir at postoffice.swbell.net
Sat Jul 3 19:48:32 PDT 1999

Baroness Philippa Rookhaven says:
When I was new in the SCA over 20 years ago, I went to my first King's
College. Sir Michael of Moria, Baron Atenveldt conducted a class called "The
Five Powers of Kings of Atenveldt." Most of these "rights" had to do with the
power to influence who became king next. He wasn't really saying whether these
were right or wrong, they just were. I can't remember now all five (I wish I
had taken notes) but these were 3 of them:
1. The king chooses when the next crown tourney will be held.
2. The king chooses where the next crown tourney will be held.
3. The king can call on his dukes to use their ducal perogative to influence
the outcome of the
    tournament.
Sir Michael's point was that all of these things could be used to discourage
someone who the king did not feel would be a good king from being able to
either enter or win crown tourney.
These were all strange ideas to me twenty some odd years ago, but I thought
this list might be interested to know that they were being discussed and
acknowledged and used at least that many years ago.

Pippa

C. L. Ward wrote:

> I have a comment and a question to add to the discussion about ducal
> privilege.
>
> First, I have to say that the ONLY reason that we have ducal privilege is
> because it has always been that way.  You can argue until you are blue in
> the face, the real reason is that it accidentally got started that way and
> became an entrenched tradition, and status quo doesn't change readily.
> There is no other reason, just LOTS of excuses made up to explain an
> existing and entrenched custom.  90% of all human ritual got started this
> way, and explanations added later by the theoreticians.

<Snip>