ANST - Re: Kingdom Dance, etc.

nolen dale fairborn at swbell.net
Tue Jul 13 05:52:17 PDT 1999

Greetings unto all Master Richard Fairbourne here:

I would like to make sure everyone understands the decision making
process involved in allowing all events.

It has been my policy in this office to try to allow every event that is
requested. I know of only maybe one event in almost two and a  half
years that was not eventually put on the kingdon calendar.

Ansteorra has become an event kingdom and we have at least one event
every weekend and usually at least wo events every weekend.

The guidleines I use for allowing events to be scheduled against one
another are generally listed below:
1. Distance
2. where does the group get support from kingdom for its events
3. what kind of event is it?
4. is this a kingdom event?

Here is the decision making process for allowing kingdom dance symposium
against alezandrian symposium.
1. distance. LMS is at the least a five hour drive from the stargate
area. This is more than enough difference to allow the two events to go
on at the same time. Usually events seperated by so much distance have
no problem with affecting one or the other.

2. where does the group get support from?
The Alexandrian Symposium is a self contained event and doesa not get
support from any traditional group, but from people specifically
interested in what ever the sympsium makes a presentation on.

Kingdom dance has the traditional support of all groups in the greater
stargate area. This includes two baronies and the 3 canton or colleges.
Alos this event is the only kingdom dance event for the year and with
the increased activity of the dance community(forming a kingdom dance
guild). I was under the impression that dancers would not be going to a
symposium on religion, but following their preferences and go to kingdom
dance.

3.What kind of event is it?
The Alexandrian Symposium is a lecture series done ine comfortable
mundanes, There is no feast and no activities after the lecture series
is over. Its like going back to college for a day of lectures on things
you are interested in. This event usually only draws less than 50 people
or so.

Kingdom Dance symposium is in full costume, involes phsical activity all
day, has a feast afterwards and a ball. Also the attendance usually runs
at least100+ and this event has absolutely nothing in common with the
above event. Also this event can benefit from trraditional pull for a
group as well as support from dancers all over the kingdom.

4. IS this a kingdom event?
The kingdom dance event was not kingdom sponsored, but the bid from the
local group was accepted to allow the kingdom name in the title. Kingdom
events usually pullin from people from all over the kingdom. Examples
are kingdom warlord, kingdom A&S, Academy of the rapeir etc.
The alexandrian symposium had no such kingdom support.

IN all these cases, the kingdom dance sympsium should have a very good
pull even with the alexandrian symposium going on. I understand that one
of the local groups in the stargate area was holding this event, but
that group should not impact the overall attendance in a great amnner as
it is a small grooup and the kingdom dance community should be
supporting this event.
These were my reasons and thoughts in allowing the two events.

Others questions are that the kingdom dance event should be on the list
of recurring kindom events: This may or may not be a good idea. Kingdom
dance has not happened every year, neither has academy of the rapier,
queen childrens college and some others.

AS one of my last acts as kingdom calendar deputy I will schedule a
kingdom dance event date that the kingdom Minister of Arts And sciences
can award to any group. It will be up to the dance community to keep
this event going. Scheduleing the event on annual basis is easy and will
be done.

I apologize for any inconvienence.

This topic was discussed at the goofs meeting and the decision was
reached that both events would be allowed to continue.

IN service
Master Richard Fairbourne, OP