ANST - Re: Award Recommendations

Faith Vedder fvedder at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 16 06:53:35 PDT 1999

> Lorraine wrote:
>

> > Here is how I would (and have) gone about recommending someone for a
> > thistle...
> >
> someone doing something because they are interested in it and want to share knowledge
> ranks a lot higher
> > than someone just doing things relatively "by the numbers" so that they achieve an
> award.

        I agree wholeheartedly

>   I also try to consider how many other awards that person has

        Here, I do not agree.  If a person is doing the work, then they should be
recognized.  Some people progress faster than others.  It is important to give
recognition when it is due and not according to some arbitrary timetable.  Make the
recommendation and allow the Crown to do Their job by determining the timing.

>  I think it is also important that the person be able to have a general understanding
> of
> > the SCA as a culture and be apart of it...not just someone who comes to
> > "party in garb" or so that they will be "entertained" or are doing things just
> because someone else wants
> > them to do it.

            I have seen people get an AOA and then ask me after Court  "what did I
get?"   We have failed these newcomers if they don't know the culture.

>     Do they actually care about the SCA? I also think that
> > people's awards should be kind of spaced out, one a year or so;

        See above comments.