ANST - Re: Award Recommendations

Michael Tucker michaelt at neosoft.com
Fri Jul 16 10:10:53 PDT 1999

Greetings, all:

"Michael F. Gunter" (Count Gunthar) wrote:
> [snip]
> There were times when a group would recommend
> someone for an award they didn't really earn but the group just wanted
> this person recognized for their work. Frequently we suggested that
> this group get together and buy a nice gift for this individual and have
> it presented in a special ceremony or at feast. Frequently this meant
> more to the awardee than another dangly.

I couldn't agree more! I have been accorded many "danglies" in my umpteen years
of service, fighting, and the arts. I appreciate them all! But one of my most
prized tokens of recognition is my "sackbone", a small-bore trombone with the
bell cut down to resemble (*closely!*) a medieval sackbut (the trombone's predecessor).

Master Avatar and Sir Alexis made this for me in secret, then presented it to me
in morning court at a Loch event. It was a student-quality trombone from a pawn
shop; the bell was badly dinged up when they got it, and it had no carrying
case. It didn't cost them a lot of money, and only a little time to make (tin
snips to cut off most of the bell, then sand and polish the edge). But I was/am
*very* touched by the thoughtfulness, generosity and effort that went into this
gift! Every time I play it, I am reminded of these friends and that public
demonstration of their appreciation.

Michael Silverhands
Baron of Stargate

p.s. for the curious, "sackbut" is from an old French word ("saqueboute")
meaning "pull and push", an apt description of this instrument played by
shortening and lengthening a slide. The name has nothing to do with either
"paper vs. plastic" or human anatomy. :-)