ANST - Re: Award Recommendations

Michael F. Gunter michael.gunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Fri Jul 16 08:04:47 PDT 1999

> If a person is being praised for their hardwork too quickly, they are
> likely to burnout trying to excel even further.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. Listing their awards is a major help
in determining whether they should get another award. It helps the
Crown determine the progress of this individual and may also give
the Crown ideas for a different award. We always checked the OP
on nominees anyway so listing the awards of the person just saved
us time.

Another thing we looked for, especially for AoA's, is how long the
person has been a member of the SCA. We tended to want them
to have been in at least a year before we granted an AoA.
The more details about this person the better. This way the Crown
has something specific to say about the recipient to make it a bit
more special. I kept a list with me when I held court so I could make
each award a bit more personal.

For Grant level awards such as an Iris or Star we really liked a
listing of any appropriate awards and how long they have had them.
If someone is being recommended for an Iris but doesn't have any
Thistles we would probably have awarded them a Thistle instead.

Of course this is simply how Sara and I worked. Their Majesties may
have different criteria but I do feel that the more information that is
included in an award recommendation the better decision the Crown
can make. And we didn't believe in giving too many awards over
a short space of time. There were times when a group would recommend
someone for an award they didn't really earn but the group just wanted
this person recognized for their work. Frequently we suggested that
this group get together and buy a nice gift for this individual and have
it presented in a special ceremony or at feast. Frequently this meant
more to the awardee than another dangly.

> Phelim "Pug" Gervase

Yers,

Gunthar