ANST - Refusing an Award?

Casey&Coni weed at sage.net
Thu Jul 22 10:32:17 PDT 1999

Reading this thread reminds me of an elegant example of an occasion where
someone refused an award and it *was* acceptable.

When Don Eule was called into court about two years ago he went hesitantly.
The Crown intended to bestow him the Iris of Merit (which was well-deserved,
I might add).  Before the herald spoke any words or he was told what award
he was being given, he politely asked the crown if he was being given an
award.  They replied that it was indeed why he was called forward and he
then begged them not to do so.  He explained that his lady love, Mistress
Ariella, was not present on that day and that it would mean so much for her
to see him recieve anything, regardless of what it was; would they please be
so kind as to give it at a future date (in two weeks, I think) if they still
deemed him worthy?

Needless to say, neither the Crown nor the crowd objected.

It's a bit different than the examples that have thus far been set forth,
but I think it's noteworthy enough to repeat.  *sniff*  (something must have
gotten in my eye)

Dieterich