ANST - FW: Pennsic Known World Poetic Challenge & Bardic Day (Long)

Suzanne Metzler suzanne.metzler at wcom.com
Tue Jul 27 13:50:55 PDT 1999

Greetings and salutations from Lady Tehair MacDiarmada, Poeta Atlantia.

Good Gentles, I beg an indulgence.  I am publicizing a new competition to be
held at Pennsic this year and the Poetry and Bardic Recitation Day at the
Performing Arts Tent and hope to get the word out to poets throughout the
known world (since you do not have to be attending Pennsic to enter).  The
announcement on the Pennsic website cut part of the announcement off and
since I have broadened the criteria to get more entrants I am looking for
other media to advertise).  Could you please forward this to A&S, Poetry,
Bardic and other lists in your kingdoms and to any gentles who might find it
of use.  I have been having a hard time finding an up-to-date  list of list
servers for the various kingdoms (I don't actually want to get on all these
list serves on a permanent basis, just post to them). I have already sent
this to Atlantia, East and Middle list serves and I hope the addresses up
top will get to the rest of the kingdoms.

I will have flyers available at Pennsic as well.  If you have questions,
please contact me directly at poeta at atlantia.sca.org or at (301) 474-3344
(NLT 10:30 p.m. EST)

Thanks for your help!

Tehair MacDiarmada (m/k/a Sue Metzler)
Poeta Atlantia

*****************
Know ye one and all that there shall be a “Bards, Poets, Acting and Short
Scenes Day” at Pennsic on Friday,  August 20, 1999, at the Pennsic
Performing Arts Center Tent from 12 - 5 p.m.  The activities of this day at
the Performing Arts Center Tent focus on poems, bardic recitation and use of
voice (other than singing).   Light refreshments will be served.  Come visit
and try out a new poem, song or story, see the poetry displayed from the
Known World Poetic Challenge, get some tips on style, performance or
documentation from other poets and those interested in the bardic arts, or
view your own or other’s current poetic and dramatic works.  We hope to be
able to offer for at-least part of the afternoon short workshops on
story-telling, poetry writing and/or lyrics writing.  (In general daytime
use of the Performing Arts Center Tent will be for daily performance
exhibitions, featuring a different art form each day, while the evening use
will be as a performance site for gentles to come and enjoy group theatrical
programs.)  If you have questions about Poetry and Bardic Recitation Day at
the Performing Arts Tent, contact Lady Tehair MacDiarmada (m/k/a Sue
Metzler) at (301) 474-3344 (NLT 10:30) or via e-mail at
poeta at atlantia.sca.org.

**************

KNOWN WORLD POETIC CHALLENGE

Their Atlantian Majesties King Stephan of Bellatrix & Queen Niobe Lais of
Bellatrix, being patrons of the arts of poetry and bardic recitation, are
sponsoring a Known World Poetic Challenge at Pennsic.  They invite all poets
and bards of the Known World to enter their best original pieces on the
theme of “Pennsic Travels” (which can include sights/activities at Pennsic
or tales about getting to/from Pennsic) written in a period style.  Extra
points will be awarded for those entries in the form of a Medieval
travelogue.  There shall also be a Poetic Display at the same time and
location as the Challenge.  The deadline for entering the preliminary round
is Wednesday, August 19.  The top 10 finalists will advance to the
performance round on Thursday, August 20, 1999 in Pennsic A&S Tent 7 from
2-5 p.m.  The populace is invited to attend the Final Performance Round.
The Display will be held at the same time and location as the final rounds
of the Challenge.

POETRY COMPETITION:

1.     	The theme of any entry must relate to “Pennsic Travels (which can
include sights / activities at Pennsic or tales about getting to / from
Pennsic).  All entries must be written in a period style. No obviously
modern references (e.g. “cars” need to be described by their equivalent
medieval function / equivalent -- “wagons,” or from the point of view of a
Medieval person who had never seen a car before -- “iron monster”).

2..           Extra points will be awarded to entries in the form of a
Medieval travelogue (e.g. Mandeville’s Travels which was the account of a
knight who set off from England upon a journey which took him to the Holy
Land. The author, who never actually visited the Holy Land, described a lot
of both fictional (fantastical) and some factual travel information about
the sights, people, flora, fauna and customs there.)

3.	All initial entries need to be original works of authorship (please
provide three paper copies of the poems *and* documentation for the judges).
Each entrant may only enter one poem for the Challenge.  Please provide
documentation.  For those not able to attend Pennsic (or who are shy about
performing), you may send your entry with a proxy and designate a person to
perform it for you should you advance to the final round.

4.	All entries must use period content, style, imagery and presentation set
within our historical era only. (For these purposes “our era” is pre-1600,
but for ancient history only what was known in the Middle Ages and
Renaissance.)

5.	The deadline for the initial round is noon on Wednesday 8/19 at the main
A&S class table (submit three copies of your poem and documentation).  Late
entries will not be accepted.  The Judge’s top ten choices will advance to
the final performance round.  The names of the ten finalists will be posted
at the Performing Arts Center Tent by noon on Thursday.

6.     	For the final rounds, entries must be performed by either the author
or a designate.  No performance may last more than seven minutes, inclusive
of introductions.  Introductions should be short, but include sufficient
documentation (i.e. describe what's period about the imagery, style,
conventions etc. of your poem).  It is permissible to enter longer works,
however please perform just that portion which will fit within the time
limits.  The time limits are due to constraints in the schedule and will be
strictly enforced.  The final round will be held on Thursday, August 20,
1999 in Pennsic A&S Tent 7 from 2-5 p.m.

7.	 Each entry will be judged according to (i) use of period imagery, (ii)
use of period style and conventions, (iii) complexity of the piece, (iv)
documentation, (v) skill in performance, (vi) entertainment value, (vii)
ability to stay within the time limits set for the competition and (viii)
overall impression.  The poem itself, its documentation and the performance
will all be weighed equally, but in the event of a tie the entry with the
highest score in its documentation will prevail.  There will be a prize for
the winner of the Challenge.
POETRY DISPLAY: The Poetry Display is open to anyone who: (i) would like
comments on their original work(s) but is not yet ready or interested in
entering competitions, or (ii) has additional pieces beyond what is entered
in the Poetic Challenge.  The themes of the poems in the Display should be
period or SCA-related (i.e. relate to SCA topics).  There should be an
attempt at period style and imagery for all entries. No pieces may be
performed (you can perform your piece on Friday’s Poetry and Bardic
Recitation Day at the Performance Art Tent from 12-5).  You may enter
multiple poems.  Documentation is not required but it is encouraged.  This
is an excellent chance to display works in progress, try a new style or get
some pointers on documentation or style.   The populace is invited to leave
tokens for the poets whose works you like the most.  The Display will be
held at the same time and location as the final rounds of the Challenge.

If you have further questions please contact the Poeta Atlantia, Lady Tehair
MacDiarmada (Sue Metzler), 9301 48th Place, College Park, MD 20740.  h:
(301) 474-3344 (NLT 10:30 EST) e-mail: poeta at atlantia.sca.org