ANST - rewarding children ... was: Found at Warlord

j'lynn yeates jyeates at realtime.net
Tue Jun 1 11:30:09 PDT 1999

On 1 Jun 99, at 12:16, marsha.greene at mpan.com wrote:

> OK... since you had to get into it...

now was that really called for?  last time i checked this was a public channel
open to everyones comments and opinions.

> ... before I offer something to a child at an SCA event, I always ask them to
> get their parents permission... they run away, I watch them ask their
> parents, and they often come back with approval..., or they drag their
> parents back with them.  I am very aware of allergy problems (5 nephews), and
> do not espouse giving 'candy' to kids without checking first with parents.

good for you, but everyone does, and that was where the origional comments /
concerns came from

> My point was to thank the children in a constructive way that would make
> them feel good about doing the job as waterbearer..or whatever, so they
> will be happy to be a part of this society, and feel like they would want
> to do service again.

chill ... don't take every coment not in accord with yours as as a personal
attack.  please folks, let's everyone not let innocent comments escalate / be
manipulated into yet another pointless flame-fest

i was in no way denegrating your attempt to thank / reward the kids.  just
bringing up a point that *many* overlook and one that's hit me close to where i
live .... haveing had to deal with a medical situation when a adult didn't
think to ask before giving chocolate to the cute kid.

many other ways to reward / thank kids without playing the "food card" (very
overused in our culture on way too many fronts ....).  the intent of the
comments was to remind the adults out there to *think* before acting.

'wolf

... truth is the sword of us all (lords of the new church)