ANST - Restrictions on Reigns - a question to ponder

Burke McCrory bmccrory at mercury.oktax.state.ok.us
Wed Jun 16 09:59:52 PDT 1999

Good morning,

I just found this on the Kingdom of the West list.  It is from Duke Andrew
of Riga, executive assistant to the Board.  I have his permission to repost
it to our list.  This is an idea that is put here for public debate.

THIS IS NOT A CURRENT PROPOSAL BEFORE THE BOARD.

What follows is Duke Andrews post:

>One of the more interesting aspects of working at the corporate level is
>dealing with the various problems which some unfortunate corners of the
>Known World are forced to endure.  Interestingly enough, certain
>kingdoms which have endemic problems are those with a small number of
>men who seem to reign as king over and over ad nauseam.  In fact, a
>disproportionate number of difficulties which are bumped up to the
>corporate level are from kingdoms which suffer from a common ailment,
>and that ailment is multi-repeating kings.
>
>I was talking with the chairman of the Grand Council last night, and we
>discussed an idea which has been kicking about the council for quite
>awhile--and that is placing restrictions on how often a man or woman may
>serve as king or queen.  Ideas range from an absolute maximum allowable
>number of  reigns a man or woman may have, to requiring time periods
>between reigns.
>
>One proposal which is attracting the most attention would work as
>follows.  As it stands, it is not possible for a king or queen to
>succeed him or herself, as there must be one reign in between.  This is
>current law throughout the Society, and it is codified in Corpora.  The
>proposed idea is after a second reign, the former king/queen must wait
>two reigns before he/she may enter a crown list, and if victorious,
>reign again.  After a third reign, the former king/queen must wait three
>reigns before he/she may enter a crown list, and possibly reign again.
>After a fourth reign, the former king/queen must wait four reigns before
>he/she may reign again, and so on.
>
>I place this idea in the arena of public debate, and look forward to the
>discussion it will generate.
>
>  Most cordially,
>
>  Andrew Smith
>  Duke Andrew of Riga