ANST - Eldern XXI

Ronnie ronna at primenet.com
Sat Jun 19 19:55:47 PDT 1999

>Sigh. Next you know there will be a push to get rid of feastocrat, nastycrat,
>troll, farspeaker and other made-up SCA words. :-)

I confess to enjoying a certain charm in the language that has grown up with
our Current Middle Ages.  Inauthentic to period they may be, but true to the
ideal of creating Then-In-Now.  The choice is purely personal: I'd rather
have medical technology, somewhat enlightented religious, social and
cultural tolearance and forebearance, and a hierarchy of laws ultimately
protecting me (for now) from government interference with my rights to
choices, than stride lock-step and in blinders with authenticity.

There's something that feels "right" to me in allowing a few harmless, and
even perhaps beguiling, anachronisms to take the stays out of the bindings
to purely period.  It's all in one's tolerance for individual
interpretations of "attempt", I think.
Ronnie.