ANST - Restrictions on Reigns - a question to ponder

Joel Schumacher jschumac at jcpenney.com
Mon Jun 21 09:06:02 PDT 1999

Allyson Tymmes (timden at lcc.net) wrote :

> I hardly feel it necessary to limit reigns if there are no long-term
> consecutive "reign hoppers".  I have heard horror stories of other
> Kingdoms having the same two crowns trading off for years, and the
> problems that arose with that (ie "hand picking" crown participants,
> stomping out people who managed to enter, but were fated with being
> disliked, etc.)

My first event was a crown tourney here in Ansteorra.  The SCA
member who introduced me told me about what was going on and what
I might be seeing.  Among this, if you were deemed unworthy by the
"old boy" network (or peerage), they'd make sure you didn't win.
And that crown tourneys were often filled with shills that didn't
intend to win, but were there and available to wear down and beat
contestants that were not deemed worthy.  Not that the winner was
necessarily set up to win, but the unworthies were culled out.

I don't know if there really were these conspiracies or whether it
was my friend's perception.

Then, at the next crown tourney I was at, I witnessed some of the
former crowns doing this "ducal" thing where they enter, fight into
the late rounds, then bow out of the competition.

What is this for?  Why enter and ruin others chances if you do not
have a desire to win?  - Unless the point is to make sure so-and-so
doesn't have his chance.  There seems to be something dishonorable
in this.

> I sincerely feel that Ansteorra is above that.  The beauty of Our
> Kingdom is that there is a general consensus that Everyone is Worthy.

If these conspiracies are real, then it seems that in our kingdom,
everyone may not be worthy and if not hand-picking to be crown, at
least some may be hand-picked to lose.

-Karl von Augsburg