ANST - Smalls

harriet meeker berengaria at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 23 13:09:52 PDT 1999

>>From: "Mark.S Harris" <rsve60 at email.sps.mot.com>
>>Can you send me contact info for Berengaria Ravencroft? Or if you
>>are on this list Berengaria, could you contact me? I'd like to consider
>>your complete article for inclusion in the Florilegium.

Lord Stefan,
I would be tickled if you were to place my article at your site.  I have
always found your Florilegium a veritable font of interesting facts.  I must
tell you before you do that though, that while I write
the articles for the Saga, I don't research them.  I have a research staff
who should get that credit.  I am just a mouthpiece for them.  This is why
we insist on documenting everything.  I have asked them and there have been
no objections to you doing so.

I hope it's not too rude of me to just skip down to another letter here, but
it's easier than finding computer time lately.

>>From: Dennis Grace <sirlyonel at hotmail.com>
>>I see now that "smalls" might be appropriate but may be derogatory.
>Um, no.  Berengaria's research demonstrates that "smalls" is not an
>appropriate contraction of "small clothes" and, therefore, post-period.
>Her
>article does *not* support the use of the word "smalls" in reference to
>children.

Sir Lyonel and Lord Stefan,
I believe I may see the problem in this case.  The research does indeed show
that the use for "smallclothes" is not a Period usage,
but does indicate that the use of "smalls" could have been used for
children, but only in a derogatory way.  It would seem that Sir Lyonel
doesn't see this as a proper thing to do, and so it's not
an appropriate use of the term.  I may be mistaken here, and if so,
I am deeply sorry for misconstruing your meaning.

Berengaria Ravencroft
Berengaria at hotmail.com
http://""www.geocities.com/athens/styx/5871"
"The brave man carves out his own fortune, and every man is the son of his
own works" -- Miguel de Cervantes