ANST - limits on reigns

harry billings psobaka at mail.myriad.net
Wed Jun 23 14:17:24 PDT 1999

>>Then why is the list wieghted to give the Knights an advantage? I really
>>don't see that it is needed. In other words, why not have a completely
>>random pairing system? Why is it setup so that Knights do not fight
>>Knights in the first round? I assume that after the first round that all
>>the pairing is done completely at random.
>
>Huh? How is it an advantage? The "tradition" is to line everyone up by Order
>of Precedence and fold the list for the first round. So the highest ranking
>member fights the lowest, the second highest fights the second lowest, ect.
>Usually a Duke or two are at the top, and they fight the lowest ranking
>persons there, a person sometimes without an AOA. Now, IMHO, this is a
>mismatch, but if a person with little SCA experience wishes to enter Crown,
>then they need to prove themselves.

Are you looking for an easy first round so you cna make it into the third
round using the dubble elim. If you want to be King be ready to fight the
best that is out there from round one to the finsh.

>>But this well-rounded attribute is not required as far as I can see. I
think we
>>have actually been quite lucky in Ansteorra.
>
>I'm not sure what you mean. Do you mean most of the knights you've seen are
>not well rounded, or that there is no Written "well-rounded" requirement
>that you've found?

All the Knight that I know are very well rounded 40 inches or better :) :)
and very knowable.

>>Yes and if the crowns stuck to just the Medieval/Renaissance side of things
>>then there probably wouldn't be the concern. But they don't. With 'The King's
>>Word is Law" they have much more power than just affecting the medieval side
>>and atmosphere of events.
>
>No they dont. As I stated earlier, The Crown has no real power over you
>other than what you give them. Even "the kings word is law" is really "The
>Crown's word, subject to Corpora and the By-laws of the Society and modern
>law, is Law...of course if it's really dumb the next Crown can change it
back".

A person is King for only six months if you find them that bad just don't go
the events were they are going to be, unless you are one of the principals
it shouldn't be that hard. As Sir Timo has said the Kings work is law only
to the extent that you alow it to be. Yes they can inpose a level 1
banshiment (avoid the presents of the Crown) but beyond that it goes to
Corpora for review.

>One of the neatest things I've heard about being king is from Duke Kein. He
>said, in explaining to non-SCA friends what he did on the weekend, " I
>pretend I'm King, and the nice thing is that 3000 other people pretend I'm
>King, too".
>

>> I think we should come up
>>with some ways to make the job easier. Perhaps take them out of having to
>>attend Peerage Circles which seems to take up a lot of their time. Why must
>>the peerage candidate be approved by the crown? Why not just by the circle?
>>But then that might cause more political battles in the circles.
>
>The Crown is the one who gives the award. They should be there to hear the
>arguments both pro and con on elevating a person to the peerage.

It is my understanding that the Crown may make someone a peer even if the
peerage circle votes 0 for 9999 aginst. The Crown makes the peerage the
circle advise.
Plachoya Sobaka a humble archer in Ravens Fort, Kingdom of Ansteorra