ANST - Running lists

Mark.S Harris rsve60 at email.sps.mot.com
Wed Jun 23 17:12:08 PDT 1999

Sir Timo wrote:
> Huh? How is it an advantage? The "tradition" is to line everyone up by Order
> of Precedence and fold the list for the first round. So the highest ranking
> member fights the lowest, the second highest fights the second lowest, ect.
> Usually a Duke or two are at the top, and they fight the lowest ranking
> persons there, a person sometimes without an AOA. Now, IMHO, this is a
> mismatch, but if a person with little SCA experience wishes to enter Crown,
> then they need to prove themselves.

Thank you for clarifying this. This was not what I had understood it to be.
I guess this does give the Dukes an advantage since they will expend less
energy defeating their first opponent than more evenly matched opponents
are likely to but it may not be a big differance. I'd think it would be
better to put the bottom of the upper half against the bottom of the lower
half etc, but this is better than what I thought was being done.

> Further down the list, remember, that Landed Nobles outrank knights and also
> that Laurels and Pelicans are peers too. So, like at this Crown, you might
> see Baron Llwellyn or Baron Aethalstan or Baron Drake (before he was
> knighted) near the top, and other peers such as Mistress Stella and Master
> Robin above many of the knights.

Wouldn't Baron Drake still be near the top, even after being knighted? Again
this was something I wasn't aware of and it does add some randomness.

> Until the Crown Earl Barn won, there had never been more knights in a list
> than non-belts, so usually knights fought non-belts in the first round.
> But, you want a hint? The best fights are almost always right in the middle
> of the fold! Thats because  thats where the new knights are faceing each
> other or upper level squires and Centurions. You may think that its an
> advantage, but those are hard fights.

See my above comments about "folding" the list differently. But this might
not make enough differance to be worth upsetting the "traditions" apple cart.

> After the first round, (well, actually, the whole time) it's up to the Crown
> how to pair. HRM Gunthar actually randomly drew the *entire* list at this
> last crown.

Then the later rounds are more open to manipulation than I thought. You are
saying the crown actually picks who will fight who in the later rounds?

Thank you for this mention of how HRM Gunthar handled it. I think this is
excellant and along the lines of what I've come to expect from him.

I would love to have some articles on how crown lists or other lists are
organised or simply on how to run a list for the Florilegium if any folks
out there are interested in doing such an article.

Lord Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net