ANST - Sniping in Classes

K.C. Moon kmoon at texas.net
Sun Jun 27 01:22:38 PDT 1999

At 01:08 PM 6/23/99 PDT, Karl Muller wrote:

>ok. after reading your answer i take back every thing i said. your way has
>more tack then mine and would be more affective.
>maybe that's why you're the laurel and i'm not.
>thank you for the lesson.
>km

Thanks for the kind words but no, it probably has very little to do with
being a Laurel, and lots to do with the fact that I have both taught and
attended classes at various King's Colleges, Collegiums and Symposiums for
years.

There's really nothing like cold, hard experience to let you know what
works or doesn't work in any given situation.  (At least for me.)

Xene, thanks for bringing up this topic.  It's nice to hear what everyone
else thinks.  Apparently I am not alone in believing it is mainly the
instructor's responsibility to maintain control of the class.

I realize that maintaining that control is more difficult for novice
instructors.  To that end, when the Alexandrian Company holds Symposiums
(this year's topic is Religion, folks!), we have an Instructor Orientation
session about 15-30 minutes prior to the start of classes.  This is where
we remind instructors, both novice and experienced, that they are the ones
who went to the trouble to prepare the classes, and people want to hear
what they have to say.  We give them basic pointers on dealing with
interruptions.  Also, a member of the Alexandrian Company tries to be
present at every class, especially for novice instructors -- not only to
see how they present their research, but to help deal with sniping.  I'm
glad to say that the problem has not yet arisen.

Does anyone think such an Orientation Session might be a good idea at
King's College and other educational events where classes are presented?
If so, I know there are quite a few experienced instructors who could help.

Yours,

Mari