ANST - New Subject - Sniping

AuroraeB at aol.com AuroraeB at aol.com
Thu Jun 24 00:11:18 PDT 1999

<< After attending a wonderful King's College, I was wondering what everyone
 else thought of "sniping", that is, attending someone else's class and
 butting in constantly, or the non-instructor taking over the class from the
 instructor.

How would you as an instructor handle a "sniper"?  >>

I have taught adults in a non-credit educational setting professionally for
several years, and occasionally I get a "sniper" as you have described.

As a professional, I NEVER let a student take control of a class.  I am the
one being paid to teach, and the other students are paying to be taught by me.

Even in a volunteer setting, I'd really advise against letting somebody take
control of a class.  Even if they are more "experienced" in the subject
matter, it is the instructor's class, and their position as the instructor
should be respected.

IMHO, if you feel like they are leaving something very important out that is
either a safety measure or a very integral part of the topic, then butt in.
If it is a safety measure bring it up, if not then maybe asking a question in
the manner of "I heard that..... what do you know about this?"  is
appropriate.  It takes the heat off the teacher for not including it, and
makes you not come across as such a know it all.

We all are proud of what we know and want to show it off at times, but there
is a time and a place.  If you think you truly know more about the topic than
the instructor, then pay polite attention, and plan on teaching an advanced
class on the subject matter at the next college.

I had a class where one lady popped off and had to give her 2 cents on
everything I said one time, and I was not gonna be rude, because it is a job,
but I acknowledged her in the manner if "Hmmm...that's interesting, thanks
for sharing with us" and continues back to the subject matter.  After that
happened a few times too many, I said that we were running short on time and
we'd have to hold all questions  and comments 'till we were through to make
sure we had enough time to do all we needed to do.

I have also "recruited" a know it all to be my "assistant" before.  Keep
their hands busy and they are less likely to pop off at the mouth!

Anyway, if you are an instructor, never let a student take over your class,
it is rude of them to even attempt it and unprofessional of you to allow it.
If they think they can do better, they can teach it next time.  And, in a
volunteer situation, if a know it all got aggressive enough, I'd tell them
just that.  That if the class is beneath their knowledge level you are sorry
you took up their time and would not be offended if they left and by all
means come back and teach an advanced class on the subject next time.

IMHO, it is more a matter if respect than knowledge.  I have sat through
enough "Duh, I knew that" classes myself.

Tracy