[Re: ANST - Restrictions on Reigns - a question to ponder]

Ronnie ronna at primenet.com
Thu Jun 17 20:42:24 PDT 1999

>Worst-case analysis:  Some of the reasons why reigns tend to revolve inside
>the same set of people is the requirement in law that the royalty must be able
>to live of their own during their reign (a rule which I heartily support), and
>the requirement in principle that they should travel the kingdom as much as
>they can.  Problem is, there are only so many people who have the money, and
>the time, and the ability to recover quickly from event weekends, to meet
>those criteria.

Unfortunately, another of the reasons is that there are kingdoms where the
law is that any contenders for the Crown List must be "acceptable" to the
current Crown -- giving a vast array of opportunities for the sitting Crown
to nay-say contenders who are otherwise qualified on all levels.  They
simply say, "this person (or their consort) are unacceptable," and the
matter is closed.  In result, a sort of clique forms, in which only those
who are politically aligned with the sitting Crown have the opportunity to
be chosen for the Thrones by Destiny.

My personal opinion is that the only valid reason to deny a contender the
List is if the fighter is proven unsafe on the Field of Honor: if they can
meet all other Corpora qualifications, they should not be denied the
opportunity of the List.

Ronnie.