ANST - limits on reigns

Mark.S Harris rsve60 at email.sps.mot.com
Wed Jun 23 09:55:33 PDT 1999

Sir Kief wrote:

> Heilsa Stefan...!
>
> You have asked questions:

And you answered some of them. And I wish to reply. Please be aware that
in some cases I am bringing up points for further discussion and may not
hold all these viewpoints closely. ie: I'd rather keep this on a sane
level, folks.

> Be it noted that I am not answering for HE Rebekah.
>
> >I'm curious. Why do you feel the test of the Crown List is sufficent?
> >What is the test?
>
> The test is one of skill in arms. Stamina and tactical ability. As well, it
> is the test of patience and the dedication of an individual to train long
> and hard to gain the needed skills to win the tournament with honor and
> chivalry.

And passing this test proves one is the best of the candidates for the
job of leading a large and complex, multi-sided volunteer organization?
Does it exclude a large number of better qualified possiblities?

> >Do you think it proves leadership ability? Does it
> >prove the ability to work with others to get things done? Does it
> >indicate any knowledge of the Middle Ages and the SCA other than
> >armored combat?
>
> You will notice, good my friend and neighbor, that it is always one of the
> Chivalry that wins the Crown Lists in Ansteorra. (The three exceptions were
> Inman, Sigmund, and Patrick Michael.)

Then why is the list wieghted to give the Knights an advantage? I really
don't see that it is needed. In other words, why not have a completely
random pairing system? Why is it setup so that Knights do not fight
Knights in the first round? I assume that after the first round that all
the pairing is done completely at random.

> This seeming monopoly of the Crown
> Lists is for good reason. To be a member of the Chivalry in Ansteorra does
> require good leadership skills.

Why? Is this something that is required for entry into the Order? Is this
something that is looked for? How is it wieghted against the ability
to win on the tournament field? I've never been in a Peerage Circle, so
I have little idea of what really happens. I do have my own ideals on
this though.

> You will also notice that most all the
> Chivalry in this Kingdom hold one or more service awards. ...
> Overall the members of the Chivalry are well rounded
> individuals that give of themselves most generously. IMO I feel that
> Ansteorra is blessed with some of the truest Chivalry that exist in the
> Known World.

Yes, this is often the case. There have been exceptions. But this
well-rounded attribute is not required as far as I can see. I think we
have actually been quite lucky in Ansteorra.

> >Does it prevent a small minority from monopolizing
> >the decision making?
>
> The "small minority" (this is somewhat redundant) that makes the decisions
> is far larger than you think. It includes all the Greater and Lesser
> Officers of State, the Territorial Barons and Baronesses, the Regional
> Officers, the Deputies of the Greater and Lesser Officers,

Well, a minority is anything less than 50%. I would hardly call this group
of decision makers close to this, even expanded with your list.

I note that all of these are picked by the crown and like a fraternity or
sorority are a self-selecting group.

> the populace at
> large (If they care to give input. And many like yourself do care!), as well
> as the Crowns and Crown Heirs. Remember that the decisions of the Crown can
> and are reviewed by the BoD if there is sufficent cause.

By the time the BoD gets involved, much damage has already been done. And
I heard many people complain that the BoD is a self-selecting group. That
was voiced in this very thread earlier.

> >It is a pretty unique method for choosing an organisations leaders and
> >has worked reasonably well, with only a few failures in this kingdom
> >and others, but it can be improved. I am loath to say we should throw
> >it out as I've not seen any alternatives I like better.
>
> It is a quite unique method for choosing leaders of an organization. The
> Society is somewhat unique in have a dual-tier organizational structure. The
> Crowns are just the manifestion of the "Medival/Renaissance" side of the
> coin. Given the original flavor of the SCA and the "Dream" that it
> engendered, it would be good to revel in the gift we have of "Crown Heads of
> State". How so very droll it would be to be governed by someone that was
> voted in on a popularity contest, or that bought the station because they
> could.

Yes and if the crowns stuck to just the Medieval/Renaissance side of things
then there probably wouldn't be the concern. But they don't. With 'The King's
Word is Law" they have much more power than just affecting the medieval side
and atmosphere of events.

> And I certainly would like to read your thoughts on improving our methods of
> choosing our Rulers.

I think a minor change to our system would be to adopt this proposal about
reign limitations. Perhaps limit it to two reigns, even. Past crowns still
have a lot of power as advisors to the current crown. I do think that some
of Pug's suggestions on handling the consorts should be used to modify the
original proposal.

I do have a lot of respect for most of our past crowns. The job can be a
rough one. If folks don't think so, they should take a look at some of the
comments in my Florilegium file crown-cost-msg. I think we should come up
with some ways to make the job easier. Perhaps take them out of having to
attend Peerage Circles which seems to take up a lot of their time. Why must
the peerage candidate be approved by the crown? Why not just by the circle?
But then that might cause more political battles in the circles.

> Waes Thu Hael kinsman...
> HE Sir Kief av Kiersted, Pelican, Lion of Ansteorra

Lord Stefan li Rous