ANST - New Subject - Sniping

Vicki Marsh Vicki_Marsh at administaff.com
Wed Jun 23 12:06:00 PDT 1999

What a great place for the sharing of ideas!!!   Mistress Mari, you did a
great job of explaining things in detail, especially the concept that the
instructor has the responsibility to maintain control of the class.

Anyone else out there have any ideas on the subject?

Lady Mairi sounded like this has happened to her before.

 As a student, if I see it happening, I will gently chide the offender and
tell them to let the instructor do the teaching.
Sometimes, it hits me after the class as to what transpired.  Then I
approach the person and ask them if they would like to teach a class at an
Elfsea event on the topic.  That either gets them out and teaching, which
gives them a respect for the other teachers, or makes them shut up.

Either way, we can deal with them gently, to teach them the proper classroom
behavior.

Sometimes, they don't know that they are sniping, but feel that it is an
open forum for discussion, or time to tease the instructor.  When that
happens, the instructor can say something to the effect that they have a lot
of material to cover in a short amount of time, but will try to leave time
open for discussion at the end of the class.

My two dinars worth,

Xene

Yi,yi,yi,yii.......