ANST - New Subject - Sniping

Krzysztof Kopernik kopernik at Ansteorra.ORG
Wed Jun 23 13:34:20 PDT 1999

As a former teacher of both high school and college, you usually only encounter
this type of behavior at the lower level.  So the way you handle this is
dependent upon the rest of the class.  Since most of the rest of the class in
this case is more mature, then you will likely not lose your audience if you
reprimand the individual.  Afterall, if you are annoyed by the conduct then
there are others, students that are annoyed as well.  Some of these students
may be wondering why you are not taking a more assertive role in remedying the
situation.  Do not wait too long, but do wait long enough for the class to want
you to intervene.  This also has the added benefit of taking a negative and
turning it into a positive by telling the other students you are not going to
let one individual destroy their chance for learning.

My two cents.
Krzysztof

At 02:06 PM 6/23/99 -0500, you wrote:

>What a great place for the sharing of ideas!!!   Mistress Mari, you did a
>great job of explaining things in detail, especially the concept that the
>instructor has the responsibility to maintain control of the class.
>
>Anyone else out there have any ideas on the subject?
>
>Lady Mairi sounded like this has happened to her before.
>
> As a student, if I see it happening, I will gently chide the offender and
>tell them to let the instructor do the teaching.
>Sometimes, it hits me after the class as to what transpired.  Then I
>approach the person and ask them if they would like to teach a class at an
>Elfsea event on the topic.  That either gets them out and teaching, which
>gives them a respect for the other teachers, or makes them shut up.
>
>Either way, we can deal with them gently, to teach them the proper classroom
>behavior.
>
>Sometimes, they don't know that they are sniping, but feel that it is an
>open forum for discussion, or time to tease the instructor.  When that
>happens, the instructor can say something to the effect that they have a lot
>of material to cover in a short amount of time, but will try to leave time
>open for discussion at the end of the class.
>
>My two dinars worth,
>
>Xene
>
>Yi,yi,yi,yii.......

In Service,