ANST - ANST- CROWN TOURNEY & REIGN ISSUE

Alice Harris lg_photo at texas.net
Wed Jun 23 14:52:32 PDT 1999

Greetings From Lady Alina:

j'lynn yeates wrote:

>  here's an idea ... entrants sign up on a numbered roster.  into a basket is
> placed numbered tokens per the number on the roster.  tokens are drawn two at a
> time for the first pairings.  the tokens of each survivor are tossed back into
> the basket and pairs are drawn for next round ... process can be modified in
> several ways, but the critical element is that all pairings be random.
>
> this would effectively eliminate the appearance / reality of list stacking or
> manipulation ...  would also be a good idea to make fighters understand that if
> entering they are entering with intent to see it through to the end and not
> drop out after taking out someone for political / personal reasons.
>
> if a fighter is not acceptable, they should be barred from entering (with
> adequate reason publically stated at that point) before things start ... having
> anyone enter with soel motive of "weeding" out only hurts the reality and
> perceptions of the whole process.

Excellent ideas that should be used. I do think it rather lousy and under
handed to enter Crown tourney just to elimate a fighter, win the round, and
then bow out. The problems with the particular fighter should be discussed and
dealt with before the tourney.

On the reign isssue, during my nine years of being in the SCA, there have been
only two kings/reigns in Ansteorra that have sucked (excuse the mundane
language). The BOD should not be making reign restrictions, but if they must I
agree it should only affect the kingdoms that have the problem. I do find it
rather ridiculous that Timaris seems to have the same king for every Gulf War.
For those kingdoms with the problem, have they've tried to self regulate and
use common sense on the reign issue. Are the repeaters ever politely asked to
step aside. Do those in leadership posts to use peer pressure to do what would
be best for the kingdom than for themselves?

Just thoughts from little me,
Lady Alina Mitchell
lg_photo at texas.net