ANST - ducak perogative

Chris and Elisabeth Zakes moondrgn at bga.com
Fri Jun 25 14:32:10 PDT 1999

At 11:55 AM 6/25/99 PDT, you wrote:
>O.K. I am getting mixed messages here. I have heard two things.
>__1. Ducal orevilege says that they are not required to join the list.
>__2. Ducal privelege is that they can drop out anytime they want.
>
>I would like it clarified for all who read.

[snip]

>To the best of my understanding, anyone can drop out of a list..any list. So
>the question becomes one of intent. And should a person start in a list as
>important as crown, knowing that they are unwilling or unable to complete it
>and the responsibilities that go with it.
>
>Mahee

Ducal perogative is the right to *not* enter the list in the first place.
It is, indeed the privilege of any person, duke or commoner, to drop out of
a list, though I think there should be a very good reason for doing so. "I
really don't want to win" or "I've seen what the competition is like, so
I'm done in the third round" are, to my mind, not good reasons. One should
not enter a tourney one has no intention of winning.
Aethelyan