ANST - Boffer guidelines...

Rolf Kvamme baron_duncan at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 5 07:33:12 PST 1999

The majority of boffer helms I have seen are "converted sports helms".
These are usually hocky helms that have been modified. My preference is
to make some kind of effort to use at least a medieval looking helmet.
Its not hard to build a light gauge steel,alumminum,or any suitable
material that would stop a hard boffer blow and not injure the child.
Why dont we start them out right and armour them in a medievil manner
instead having them look like victims of a random sporting goods store
mugging *grin*.  I have seen the pride in my sons face when he takes the
field in grieves with knee, vambraces with attached leather elbows,
hardened leather gorget, leather body, and a scaled down version of his
dads corinthian.  When he is wearing a nice tunic and pants instead of a
tshirt and jeans. Am I saying that you should take your child down to
armourer X and spend a tall wad of cash. No, just do the same for you
child as you would yourself.  Teach them that fighting in the SCA is a
balance of sport and recreation, and not just sport. This can also
include the use of proper salutes, and the use of consorts.

Ok..Ok...I will step off of my soap box and put it away before my lady
catches me at it again. :)

Thegn Duncan