ANST - shield covers

Dennis Grace sirlyonel at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 17 08:17:05 PST 1999

Salut Cozyns,

Lord Stefan of Florilegium fame quotes--

>> As to colorful shield covers, Come see mine some time, cozyn.  I glue
>> sturdy twill to the face and then paint my arms upon it (or, I should
>> say, my lady paints my arms upon it) before strapping the safety
tubing
>> to the edge.  I've seen others do the same glued-on treatment so that
>> the cloth actually covered the edge.

and queries:

>I thought at first that the advantage of the cloth covers was that
>they could be replaced when they got battered or transferred to another
>shield if the underlying shield got pulverized. But in the process that
>Sir Lyonel describes the cover is glued to the underlying shield.
>
>So what is the advantage of the cloth covers? Are they easier to paint
>than the underlying alluminum or plywood? Or do you just think they
>look better?

I've found the painted cloth treatment to have a number of advantages:

(1) The cloth will accept a wider range of paints than the aluminum.

(2) The paint doesn't flake off of the cloth the way it does from
aluminum (and from plywood, to a lesser degree).

(3) Though glued on, the cloth is easily removed and replaced once it
becomes tattered.  The cloth just peels off.  If you have to repaint an
aluminum or wooden shield, you usually have to sand it to avoid a lumpy
look.

To clarify a side issue: Okami was talking about the amtgard practice
(quite different from what I've described) of using cloth covers that
either hang or are strapped onto a shield.  I believe Francesca was
describing the same sort of slip-on covers.  While expedient, I don't
think this treatment looks quite medieval.

lo vostre por vos servir
Sir Lyonel Oliver Grace