ANST - shield covers

j'lynn yeates jyeates at realtime.net
Wed Mar 17 11:59:25 PST 1999

On 17 Mar 99, at 8:17, Dennis Grace wrote:

> To clarify a side issue: Okami was talking about the amtgard practice
> (quite different from what I've described) of using cloth covers that
> either hang or are strapped onto a shield.  I believe Francesca was
> describing the same sort of slip-on covers.  While expedient, I don't
> think this treatment looks quite medieval.

ahhh, but what about a slip on cover to "protect" your shield from the elements
.. if memory serves, such usage was period.  case in point, i have a small
steel eastern style (mongol) shield that would be a perfect candidate for a
protective slip on cover (have been thinking tooled & oiled leather) for
transport and protection in the damp / wet.

like the points about the shield face covering for wood and aluminum battle
shields ... first two i made many years back were done that way for the very
reasons you outlined.

'wolf

... - Boingo, Pedestrian Wolves