ANST - VIVAT!

Spatsman at aol.com Spatsman at aol.com
Tue Mar 2 15:56:45 PST 1999

highlycafeinated at hotmail.com writes:

<< hello fine folks of ansteorra---

 as was most recently pointed out (see below), the common usage of latin
 in our fine kingdom stinks somethin ferocious... not only would "vivant"
 [wee wunt] be more correct than "vivat" [wee wut], but to be accurate,
 you are not usually meaning "they live" or "he/she/it lives"... usually
 what you are doing is wishing them well, or congratulations, a long
 life... in which case any of the following are appropriate:(singular)
 "VIVE" [wee way] (PLURAL) "VIVETE" [wee wa tay]
                        "SALVE" [sul way]     "SALVETE" [sul way tay]

 or you could simply say thank you with a "benigne" [bay neeg nay]...

 valete,
 Pontifex Linguae Maximus
 aka Theo Dallas,
 Mizuiro Michimoto,
 Matthew D.J. Kies

I was always rather fond of "Slainte", myself.
I don't see the Norse or the Normans having much enthusiasm for this Irish
wish of good cheer, however,...though they felt welcome to use everything else
we had!
How about a rousing cry of "Yee-Haaawww!" in the traditional Ansteorran
fashion?
Or is that simply irritating?
~Fionnagan